Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Worldworks Titan Scenery part 2

Yesterday I got the Titan series of Worldworks Games sci-fi scenery, and their sci-fi hover cars, and thick 250 gm2 colour copy paper (instead of photo paper), 'no wrinkle' glue pens, double sided tape, black marker, A4 cutting mat, and five sheets of corrugated core.

I got colour copy paper, because they were out of stock of matte photo paper, and then they asked me, if I wanted really thick, and I wanted matte, why use photo paper when I could just use colour copy paper. I wasn't aware that colour copy paper was different to standard printer paper, but it's designed to show colours better than standard printer paper, and it works pretty well - not to mention, is thicker than photo paper, and the bonus: no reflections, as it's not gloss coated! It's great standing guys on the sidewalk, and not seeing reflections on the concrete :)

As for the boards, I had actually thought I was buying five sheets of foamcore board, but I picked sheets off the wrong shelf by accident, and didn't know until I started assembling ground tiles that I did not, in fact, have foamboard. The result: the terrainlinx system of creating connector tabs in the sides of the tiles was not possible. For one thing, the corrugated board is like corrugated cardboard in that it is two hard layers sandwiching a wave - air tunnels run the whole way through the length of the board, making it hard to cut fitted slots into the sides of the board. The other problem: it was not the correct thickness either. The printed tiles are designed to wrap around the edges of standard foamboard, but there's no easy way to wrap them and slot them around this stuff.

I opted to go simple instead. I just cut the top face out of each floor tile and stuck it onto the corrugated board, then cut it out to get a free-standing ground tile. So my tiles don't physically connect and anchor to each other, but they lay out perfectly together to form the battlefield, and I think when the walls are attached, they will help hold things in place. It's not like I'll be knocking the table about anyhow.

Here's some of the tiles I assembled so far, thrown together on the table to see what they'd look like. I tried to put tiles adjacent to each other that line up, but some were just laid out regardless because I haven't made the tiles they connect to yet. I was impressed how well they go together anyhow.


I used double-sided tape, to put around the edge of a tile, then three diagonal lines of double-sided tape in the middle, to attach the tile to the corrugated board. This way there's no glue involved - so no warping due to moisture, and no waiting for anything to dry. Worked great!

I'm really impressed with the texturing of the pieces. They did a fantastic job! Here's a close-up of one of the tiles. There's so much detail!

Of course, it's just drawn on, and not embossed or anything. I wish there was a way to have physical sculpted floors and walls, painted with this level of detail. That would be truly incredible, but for now, making urban areas, this is the way to go, I think.

My plan is to do all the ground tiles, and then the wall posts, and then the walls/doors. Possibly I'll throw in some scenery objects or hovercars in between to keep things interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment