Friday, February 24, 2012

Making small hills from flocked heroscape hexes

Okay, so I no longer use hex grid boards to play on with Battletech. I collected lots of heroscape plastic stackable hexes over the years, with the idea of covering a table with a 3d hex grid terrain board. Now that I'm not using a grid when playing games, I thought I'd try to make some scenery out of the hexes, so this is my experiment:

I took some plastic hexes, and glued them together, to form a small hill.
I flocked it with grit.
I washed it with devlan mud.
I heavily brushed it with a drybrush brush, in codex grey.
I glued grass onto it.









Trees part 1

Got an order of JTT Trees over ebay. These ones are even better looking than the trees I ordered earlier in the year, and the wire trunk.branches are covered with some sort of coating, so that you can't see the wire, which is a very nice touch.

I used wire cutters to trim the excess wire off the bottom of some of the trees.

Then I got blobs of Green Stuff, and moulded a blob around the base of a tree, then squashed down onto a standard 25mm miniatures base. Then used fingers to smooth it from trunk to base, holding the tree in an upright position. I then put them in my miniatures wardrobe, pressed slightly against each other.

With the foliage touching each other, the trees hold each other up, while the green stuff sets. When I left them, at first, just standing on their own, the weight of the tree caused them to keep leaning over and I had to keep pressing them back into an upright position. Leaning them against each other worked, and this morning when I checked, they've all set hard in the correct position.

Here's the new trees! Starting to get a forest now! Should look good with my other trees as well, in patches across the table, once the table is done.

Now all I have to do is paint and flock the bases / green stuff.


Friday, February 3, 2012

Two Terrain Boards and scenery

Just a shot showing the two boards, with some sci-fi scenery on it




Muddy Grass Table part six: BOARD TWO COMPLETE

I'm trying to make sure that, however the four board are arranged next to each other, the grass and mud/rocks along the edges of each board will match with the edge of the board next to it.

Here's a pic of the board while under construction, with grass/dirt lined up along the edge.


Here's the two finished boards together!



Thursday, February 2, 2012

Muddy Grass Table part five: BOARD ONE COMPLETE

On a roll today! I managed to complete my first foamboard! Only three more to do to complete the battlefield.

I followed up gluing the grit on, by making a mix that was 50% water and 50% devlan mud, and sploshed it on all over wherever grit was glued on. I then thickly drybrushed codex grey all over the grit.

To finish, I had also bought scatter foliage. I can't remember what it's called, but it's a mix of two greens, but instead of grass, its thick and spongy. You break it up into loose clumps. After placing terrain objects onto a board, you then scatter the clumps of foliage across the empty areas of ground, to create bushes and stuff. 

While playing, you can just knock a clump out of the way if it gets in the way of placing a miniature.

After playing the match, you take off all the scenery objects, then tip the board on its side so the foliage clumps roll into the middle of the table. Then you can just pick them up and stick them back in their tub.


Here's some pics of the board piece, with different stuff sitting on top of it.











Muddy Grass Miniatures Table part four

Getting lots done today! I decided to plunge on while the glue is still setting, and glue in all the grit for a gravelly texture between the patches of grass. Later, once the glue has dried, I will see how it goes, applying Devlan Mud wash over the top of the grit!

Here it is with all the wet glue and grit


Muddy Grass Miniatures Table part three

Well, I got my flocking supplies in the mail today!


I bought 4 x grass (one for each board), 4 x medium grit, 4 x small grit, and 2 x scatter vegetation mix.
What I discovered was that it will take me around 1.5 to 2 tubs of grass for each board - so I don't have enough fake grass at all :(

So I'm going to complete the table, one board at a time, probably with a few weeks between each board depending on how my supply gathering goes.

Anyway, I've got grass onto one board now. Once I saw it would take more grass than I had thought, I decided to have some larger areas where muddy dirt/gravel will go later on. I also decided patches of grass will be sparser - with more dirt - on top of the slopes on each board. Here it is with the glue still drying.


The trick to getting the most use of your grass, is to get a lump between thumb and two fingertips, and rub your fingertips to sprinkle grass over patches of glue, until it looks thick. Then - before the glue dries - stand the board on its side, and bang on the bottom of the board, so all the excess grass falls off onto some sheets of paper. You can then bend up the sides of the paper, so the loose grass gathers in the middle, and tip it back into the tub for use on another patch of grass.

Here's an example. After adding grass onto the board, my tub looked like this:

Starting to bang on back, so grass begins to fall on piece of paper


After gathering back all the loose grass from the board, the tub was almost full again!